Putting Families First Schedule a Consultation

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals / Acción Diferida Para Los Que Llegaron en La Infancia / Daca

Pyrus Law Aug. 21, 2012

DACA Basics

It’s important to understand that Deferred Action does not grant you legal status. Instead this allows you to NOT be deported and receive a work authorization if you can show you have financial need. This is not a pathway to legal status, and if you have another way of attaining status, you should look into that.

You should be aware that there are inherently some risks in applying for DACA. You are essentially letting the government know that you are undocumented and present in the U.S., and they are the ones with the ability to deport you from the country. While the government has assured us they will not use information in these applications to deport you unless there is evidence of fraud, significant criminal history, or a threat to public safety, it is important to acknowledge that there is some level of risk.

Also, DACA is very new. The way law shapes itself and defines the grey areas is through the decisions that are made based on the law. Since this is new and we haven’t seen any decisions yet, we don’t know how the government is going to interpret certain situations. That being said, there is definitely some benefit to waiting before applying, because the longer this program is in place, the more well defined the grey areas become and the less risk there is in applying. However, if you wait to apply, it is very likely that the processing times will be much greater, and we don’t know what will happen to this program if the administration changes with the upcoming election.

To qualify for DACA, you must meet the following criteria:

1. Were under the age of 31 on June 15, 2012

2. Came to the U.S. before 16 years old

3. Continuously reside in the U.S. from June 15, 2007 to present

4. Were physically present in the U.S. on June 15, 2012

5. Did not have lawful status on June 15, 2012

6. Are currently in school, have graduated or obtained a certificate of completion from high school, have obtained a GED certificate, or are an honorably discharged veteran of the military

7. Have not been convicted of a felony, significant misdemeanor, three or more misdemeanors and do not pose a threat to national security or public safety.

If you decide to apply, the application involves: four forms- I-821D (DACA), I-765 (Employment Authorization), I-765WS (Financial Necessity), I-1145 (Text/email notification)-optional; Supporting Documents to show you meet the criteria; $465 to the Department of Homeland Security; 2 passport photos. You send all this to the government, and they will send you a biometrics appointment for fingerprinting and a background check. After they receive the results from this, they will consider your application and determine whether to grant or deny it.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Should I apply?

A: This depends on your own individual situation. Some people’s situations make it more risky for them to apply right now, because we don’t know how the government is going to interpret certain things (i.e. what is a “significant misdemeanor”?). You should consult an attorney to discuss your case and to determine what type of risks you are facing.

Q: Do I need to hire an attorney to help me with this application?

A: An attorney is not necessary to apply, but it is highly recommended. There are risks involved in applying for DACA, especially because it is so new, and an experienced attorney can help you navigate those risks and increase your likelihood of success. I have experience with removal proceedings, and can help you minimize your risks of ending up in removal proceedings.

Q: Will getting deferred action allow me to get a driver’s license?

A: Yes. In California, you can apply for a Driver’s license with an employment authorization card.

Q: Will my immigration history be considered for Deferred Action?

A: Yes! Your immigration history will be considered ANY time you apply to change your immigration status. If you have had prior contacts with immigraion (i.e. ordered removed, voluntary departure, turned away at the border) you may currently have a “bar” from being in the U.S. and filing an application will alert the government of your presence. If you have had previous contacts with immigration, it’s advisable that you speak to an attorney before proceeding, and/or request a FOIA and FBI background check.

Q: Do I qualify if I have a certificate of completion from high school but did not graduate due to CAHSEE?

A: Yes. The requirements of DACA are that you have graduated from high school, have a certificate of completion, a GED, or are in the process of attaining any one of these.

Q: Can I end up in removal proceedings if my application is denied?

A: There is the possibility of being referred to removal proceedings, however the government has said that this will only happen in the rare circumstances that there is: 1) fraud, 2) a substantial criminal history, or 3) threat to public safety. However, if you do not fit into one of these categories, the government has said that they will keep the information separate. The government has also indicated that they may share information included in your application with other organizations NOT for the purposes of removal, to verify information, investigate a crime.

Q: What does continuous presence mean?

A: If you left prior to August 15, 2012, this may or may not interfere with your “continuous” presence. If your departure was “brief”, “casual”, or “innocent” then it will not affect continuous presence. If your departure was “for an extended time”, “because of an order of exclusion, deportation, or removal”, or “to participate in criminal activity”, then it will interrupt your continuous residence. Do not leave the country before you receive approval and have an approved application for advanced parole, otherwise you will be compromising your “continuous presence”.

Q: What is a significant misdemeanor?

A: Any crime with a maximum jail time is one year or less, but more than five days AND

1. involves: domestic violence, sexual abuse or exploitation, burglary, unlawful possession or use of a firearm, drug distribution or trafficking or DUI, or

2. If not listed above, then the person was sentenced to more than 90 days.

Q: Is driving without a license a significant misdemeanor?

A: No, the government has specifically said that driving without a license will not be considered. However, the government has said that they will look at your entire history to determine whether you should be granted DACA. This implies that if you have several offenses, even if they are minor traffic violations, they can be considered. So take a look at why you were pulled over and discovered to be driving without a license.

Q: If I have been using a fake Social Security Number, can I apply?

A: Yes. The government is not naïve, and they know that there are a large number of undocumented people in the U.S. and probably the majority of them are using fake social security numbers. While, this could be seen as identity theft and therefore referred to a local law enforcement agency to be investigated, there are ways to craft an application to minimize your risk of this. Contact an attorney to discuss further.

Updated 12/16/12


Lo Básico

Es importante entender que Acción Diferida no le concede estatus legal. Por otro lado, le permite NO ser deportado y le concede autorización de trabajo si usted puede probar que tiene necesidad financiera. Este no es un camino al estatus legal, si usted tiene otra forma de obtener estatus, debería investigar más sobre eso.

Usted tiene que estar conciente que hay algunos riesgos al solicitar Acción Diferida . Usted básicamente le estaría informando al gobierno que esta presente en los Estados Unidos como indocumentado (a) y ellos son los que tienen la habilidad de deportarlo (a) del país. Mientras el gobierno ha asegurado que no usará la información en estas solicitudes para deportarlo al menos que haya evidencia significativa de fraude, historial criminal significativo, o usted sea una amenaza a la seguridad publica, es importante saber que existe cierto nivel de riesgo.

Además, Acción diferida es una solicitud nueva. La manera en que la ley se desarrolla así misma y define las áreas grises es basado en las decisiones que son hechas basadas en la ley. Como este programa es nuevo y no hemos escuchado de ninguna decisión , no sabemos como el gobierno interpretará ciertas situaciones. Siendo esto dicho, definitivamente hay algún tipo de beneficio en esperarse antes de hacer la solicitud, porque mientras este programa este más tiempo en efecto, lo mejor y mas definidas estarán esas áreas grises y el menor riesgo que habrá en hacer la solicitud. Sin embargo, si usted se decide a esperar para mandar la solicitud, es muy probable que el tiempo de procesamiento será mas largo, y no sabemos que le pasará a este programa si la administración cambia con las próximas elecciones presidenciales.

Para ser considerado para Acción Diferida tiene que cumplir los siguientes requisitos:

Era menor de los 31 años de edad el día 15 de Junio del 2015.

Llego a los Estados Unidos antes de los 16 años de edad

Ha residido continuamente en los Estados Unidos desde El 15 de Junio del 2007 hasta el presente.

Estuvo presente físicamente en los Estados Unidos el 15 de Junio del 2012.

No tenía ningún tipo de estatus legal el 15 de Junio del 2012.

Esta actualmente matriculado en la escuela, se ha graduado u obtenido un certificado u obtuvo un certificado de GED o si es un veterano que fue dado de alta honorablemente de las fuerzas armadas.

No ha sido acusado de una felonía, un delito menor significante, de tres o mas delitos menores, y no es una amenaza para la seguridad nacional o la seguridad publica.

Si decide llenar la solicitud y mandarla debe sabes que esta formada por: Cuatro formas- I-821D (DACA), I-765 (Autorización de empleo), I-765WS (Necesidad financiera), I-1145 (Notificación por Texto/correo electrónico)-opcional; Documentos de apoyo que demuestren que usted llena los requisitos; una cuota de $465 que se le tiene que pagar al departamento de la seguridad nacional; dos fotos para pasaporte. Una vez que usted mande todo esto al gobierno, ellos me mandarán una cita para que le usted valla a tomarse las huellas y un chequeo de su expediente. Después de recibir estos resultados, ellos considerarán su solicitud y determinarán si lo aprueban o lo niegan.

Preguntas frecuentes

P: Debo solicitar Acción Diferida?

R: Esto depende en tu situación individual. La situación de algunas personas hacen mas riesgoso que soliciten en este momento porque no sabemos como es que el gobierno juzgará ciertas situaciones. Tiene que consultar a un abogado y discutir su caso para determinar que tipo de riesgos enfrentará.

P: Debo contratar un abogado para que me ayude con la solicitud?

R: Un abogado no es necesario para hacer la solicitud, pero es altamente recomendable. Existen riesgos relacionados con la solicitud de Acción Diferida, especialmente porque esta es nueva, y un abogado con experiencia podría ayudarle a navegar contra esos riesgos para incrementar la posibilidad del éxito. Nuestra oficina esta altamente capacitada con experiencia en procedimientos contra la deportación, y podemos ayudarle a minimizar los riesgos de que usted sea mandado a este procedimiento.

P: El obtener Acción Diferida me permitirá obtener una licencia de manejar?

R: Si. En California, usted puede solicitar la licencia de manejar y una tarjeta de Trabajo.

P: Mi historial migratorio será considerado cuando solicite Acción Diferida?

R: Esto aun no es conocido. El gobierno no ha mencionado si el historial migratorio es algo que será considerado, pero es difícil de imaginar que ellos no tomen esto en consideración. Si usted tiene un historial con inmigración, se le recomienda que hable con un abogado antes de proceder.

P: Soy elegible si solo tengo un certificado que documenta que termine la escuela secundaria aunque no me haya graduado por el examen estatal llamado por sus siglas en inglés CAHSEE?

R: Si. Los requisitos para Acción Diferida son que se haya graduado de la escuela secundaria con un certificado, un GED o esta en el proceso de obtener uno de estos.

P: Podría terminar en riesgo de deportación si mi solicitud es negada?

R: Existe una posibilidad que lo refieran a procedimientos de despulsamiento, sin embargo el gobierno ha expresado que eso solo pasará en circunstancias raras como son: 1) fraude, 2) Historial Criminal Substancial. 3) Es una amenaza para la seguridad publica. De esta manera, si usted no llena ninguna de estas descripciones, el gobierno ha dicho que mantendrá esta información separada. El gobierno también ha indicado que podría compartir la información incluida en su solicitud con otras organizaciones, pero NO para propósitos de deportación sino para verificar información o identificar un crimen.

P: Que significa presencia continua?

R: Si usted salió del país antes del 15 de Agosto del 2012. Esto podría o no interferir con su presencia “continua” Si su salida fue “breve”, “casual” o “inocente” entones no interferirá con su presencia continua. Si su salida fue por un tiempo “extendido” “por una orden de exclusión, deportación, o removido o “para participar en actividad criminal, entonces esto interrumpiría si residencia continua. No salga del país antes de que reciba aprobación o ha sido aprobada su solicitud para libertad avanzada, de otra manera usted estaría comprometiendo su “presencia continua” .

P: Que significa un delito menor?

A: Cualquier crimen con un tiempo máximo de un año en la cárcel o menos, pero mas de cinco días

1. Implica: violencia domestica, abuso sexual o explotación, asalto, posesión ilegal de un arma o uso de un arma de fuego. Distribución de drogas, trafico o un delito por manejar intoxicado o

2. Si no esta en la lista de arriba, entonces la persona fue sentenciada por mas de 90 días.

P: Manejar sin licencia de manejo es un delito significativo menor?

R: No. Sin embargo, el gobierno ha dicho que tomará en cuenta el historial completo para determinar si la persona debe ser otorgada la Acción Diferida. Esto implica que si tiene varias ofensas, aunque sean ofensas menores de trafico, pueden ser consideradas.

P: Si he usado seguro social falso, puedo solicitar?

R: No estamos completamente seguros. El gobierno no es ingenuo y saben que hay un gran numero de gente indocumentada en el país y probablemente la mayoría de ellos están usando o hán usado un seguro social falso. Sin embargo, esto podría ser visto como robo de identidad y referido a la agencia que refuerza las leyes. Yo creo que este es uno de los riesgos actuales al solicitar. No sabemos si el gobierno percibirá esto, pero si usted esta en esta situación, debería hablar con un abogado de inmigración para discutir las implicaciones de las solicitud.